Kewaigue School

Enjoying learning and achieving, together


This policy and set of procedures is aimed at supporting those staff and volunteers in a school as they act in the best interests of a child and within their scope of capability.

Anaphylaxis is a severe, rapidly progressive allergic reaction that is potentially life threatening. The most common allergens in school aged children are peanuts, eggs, tree nuts (e.g. cashews), cow’s milk, fish and shellfish, wheat, soy, sesame and certain insect stings (particularly bee stings). Allergies can develop at any age and there may be a risk that if a pupil feels unwell this may be due to an allergic reaction, but it is a parent’s responsibility to get in touch with their GP. Not all reactions are immediate but can develop after exposure to the allergen.

The key to prevention of anaphylaxis in schools is knowledge of the student who has been diagnosed as at risk, awareness of allergens, and prevention of exposure to those allergens. Partnerships between schools and parents/guardians are important in helping the student avoid exposure. Good communication is therefore important and parents/guardians have a responsibility to share with school such communications they have about their child’s condition, such as communications / letters and plans from the Paediatrician, GP and Dietician. It should also be remembered that there is community use of buildings outside of school hours, which may have an impact in school hours.

You are viewing an item in the section:

General Information

Please click the links on the left hand side for further information about our school. THE SCHOOL AND IT'S CATCHMENT AREA Kewaigue School was opened on 10th October 1892 after permission was granted to draw water from the well across the lane at the back…

View this